Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Extra-Snackular


It has been pretty rainy here the last few days, so Kiernan's usual routine of running around and playing with his friends after school has been curtailed somewhat. Today, however, it was bright an sunny. A brisk day, but not cold. The air was beautiful and clear, as if the rain had cleaned the sky of its usual haze.

So the kids ran amok after school. At one point they all disappeared, and the waiting parents went to find them. We found them amassed near the kindergarten building, around a bench. From afar it looked like they were having some kind of impromptu toddler meeting. As we got closer it became apparent that they were actually sharing snacks. One of the boys, Jacob, had a bag of rice cakes and was distributing them to his friends. Food Note for Today: turns out Kiernan likes rice cakes.

I love seeing them all interact like this. I'm always fascinated by that. But today something else occurred to me as I looked at the little group from across the schoolyard...

Goodness gracious Kiernan, when did you get so tall?

I don't think I quite captured it in the picture, but I was just struck, watching him there with his friends, at how tall he looked. At how much he's grown in the last months.

Amazing. Exciting. Scary. Humbling. All at once.

2 comments:

Grance said...

I think he is standing tall in overalls, now that he's rediscovered his taste for them. He really is growing up much too fast!

Anonymous said...

I'm happy it was just rice cakes. In 15 years, if we see a bunch of kids huddled up like that, we're gonna get very very nervous!!