Thursday, February 05, 2009

Caped Crusader

You always remember your first cape.


The other day I spent a little time going through my picture files from the last few months as Gammy needed a couple of pictures. There are so many pictures I missed posting, pics that I intended to post and never got around to, as well as shots that I missed the first time through. I probably intended to get to some of them at the turn of the year, but at that time I was going through this heinous battle with a computer virus and got derailed. Fortunately I'm pretty good about doing backups, so I didn't lose anything. I will just have to do a bit of revisiting over the next few days and put some of those older photos up. I hope you'll bear with me.

The above picture is from our visit to Virginia in the fall, taken at the airport in Newport News before we went through security for the return trip to California. I did post a picture from the end of that day, but never got around to the earlier pictures from that day, which fall into the category of those pics I intended to post.

In this picture, as I allude to above (and as you can plainly see), Kiernan is wearing a cape. Sandi made him this cape and presented it to him at the airport. In the dinnertime stories I tell for (and with) Kiernan, he is a member of an outfit known as the Intergalactic Interstellar Super Detectives. Along with dwarf planet Eris and his trusty sidekick, the moon Dysnomia, Kiernan solves cases at home and throughout the Solar System. At the beginning of each story, after the discovery of the complication, Kiernan calls Eris and Dysnomia by doing the special "Eris Yodel". The two of them arrive lickity-split and after Dysnomia gives Kiernan his special badge, his hat, and now his cape, the three of them stand together and boldly declare, "We're Interstellar Intergalactic SUPE......RRRR Detectives and we're on the case!" Then, after a brief pause, "Supercool!"

I told some of the stories during our visit, and Sandi keyed into Kiernan's excitement. She started asking questions about what the actual name of the outfit was, working out the initials in a back and forth with Kiernan. I knew she was up to something.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great and thoughtful idea, Sandi.

Anonymous said...

No kid is complete without a cape. My blankie has substituted as a cape on occasion.

Jeni said...

I loved capes as a child - but I never had cool intergallatic stories to go with them - most impressive!!! P.S. may I have a few pictures too?