Monday, February 09, 2009

The Energy of the Real

I realize this doesn't belong here, but I was touched by it and so I'm sharing it. Also I'm hoping a few of you might be able to give me some advice. It doesn't have anything to do with Kiernan, other than passing on the love of reading and books is a huge goal, so if you don't feel like looking at this post, I won't be offended.

The other day I was listening to one of my favorite radio shows (I was actually listening to the podcast, so I should say I was listening to one of my favorite podcasts), an interview show on NPR called Fresh Air. The show on this day was basically a tribute to John Updike, who died recently. I've never read any Updike, but I listened anyway. I always listen to that show, no matter who the subject is, because it is almost always illuminating. The host of the show, the woman who does the bulk of the interviews unless someone else is filling in for her, is Terry Gross, and she is easily the best interviewer in the business of interviewing.

Two things were said on the show that really made me curious about John Updike. One was said by Terry Gross in coming back from a break or introducing the next segment, and one was said by Updike in response to a question.

Terry Gross: "We're remembering one of the greatest writers of our time..."

John Updike: "The literary art is a parasitic one in that its energy comes from the energy of the real."

Those two things, in addition to the sense that I got from listening that Updike was a far more interesting person than I had ever realized, made me feel like I should read him. Terry Gross is a well-read person (with, I imagine, an exceedingly well-read staff supporting her), and she has solid and wonderfully eclectic tastes, so her statement has a certain amount of weight with me. And I just love his quote.

If any of you have read him, and have a suggestion for what I should read first, please do let me know. In addition to needing to finally crack into Huckleberry Finn, Updike is on my agenda for this year.

Thanks. Now back to our regularly scheduled blog about Kiernan.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't read Huck Finn. I read it in high school - hated it and tried to read it again a couple years ago - hated it.

Grance said...

I have to disagree with Hope on that one. HF is easily one of the greatest books in Am Lit, and I re-read it with the greatest pleasure every few years. Sorry Hope - I think this is the first time I've ever disagreed with you, who remain a bright spot in my memory of Kiernan's operation. I've never cracked Updike, but am tempted to after reading about him in the New Yorker. I guess try the early Rabbit book. Let me know how you like it.

Anonymous said...

I don't remember what I have read by him, but I enjoyed the digression. Please do so again.

Hope disliked Huck Finn because she doesn't like wading through colloquialisms. It took me awhile to get past it too, but it was well worth it. We anticipate your report, Christien.

Anonymous said...

Mom's right. There we too many colloquialisms. Drove me crazy.

Anonymous said...

Witches of Eastwick was a potentially interesting movie destroyed by Hollywood. Always wondered what Updike made of it...

He used to write regularly for Playboy back when people read Playboy for the articles (uh huh...)

:) Claire