Friday, January 01, 2010

Sound Advice


One of the traditions when we go to Arizona for the holidays is for the women to have a Girls' Day Out the day after Christmas. This has been going on for years. They spend the day getting their toes waxed and their elbows defoliated--or something--and go out to lunch and see a movie. It's a Dawn-to-Dusk situation, as you can imagine. The boys get the day before Christmas for their Boys' Day Out. This day is also known as Christmas Eve. Which means we go out for lunch and then come back for family time. Hmm.

Anyway, this year the boys had a bit more power because Rich, Amy's fella, was with us. So we got to hit a basket of golf balls in addition to going out for lunch, which was sushi. Good for me, as sushi is my favorite food. Not so good for Rich, as he's not a big fan of seafood, but he was a good sport.

The boys kind of snuck in some extra guy time during the Girls' Day Out festivities, however. Since they were going to be gone, we all loaded into the car--this time including Kiernan--and headed out to the Arizona Science Center. On our way there we got lunch, going to a place Rance called "Tiger". "I bet you can tell what they serve there!" he informed us on the way.

"Game?" I responded. "Venison. Buffalo. Stuff like that."

He gave me one of his withering looks in the rear view mirror.

I sat thinking, and all I could come up with was the idea of someplace like the Rainforest Cafe. Sort of generic American food. When we couldn't find the place on our first swing through town, I asked my phone to ask Google about it. Google said the place was actually called Wild Thaiger. THAIger. Get it?

Poor Rich.

Luckily for all of us, including Rich, this was some of the best Thai food I have ever had. Truly delicious. The ribs, for example...easily some of the best ribs I have had anywhere. So we were all pleased, even Rich. And even Kiernan, who was far and away the most high maintenance eater among us, found something he liked. [I'm ribbing Rich here, but he really was cool with everything we did.]

The picture above is from lunch. Noticing that I was spending a lot of time entertaining Kiernan, Grance suggested he come over and sit on his lap so I could get more eating done. Grance offered to read the book we were working on, When Dinosaurs Came with Everything. The light was pretty low in the restaurant, and this made reading difficult.

"I'm having a hard time reading this," Grance said. "I don't have my reading glasses."

Kiernan looked back over his shoulder and said, slowly and gently, "Sound it out."

Laughter all around.


Happy New Year everyone. Welcome to 2010.

4 comments:

Grance said...

I hate to call any one moment the highlight of a wonderful time, but K's comment to me was certainly in the top 3! I really was struggling in the bad light with even worse eyes, and for some perverse reason the book was printed in about 6 type. Not trying to make excuses, because K cut right to the chase with his comment. And Rich was wonderful in his acceptance of most things I foisted upon him. He drew the line at Herring Salat, but Christien I'm proud to say manned up to it! Wonderful guy days with wonderful guys!

Wendy/Mom said...

Sound it out. Hilarious! That's my boy!!

Aunty Amy said...

FANTASTIC!! Rich and I just giggled. Great story--"sound it out". What a sweetheart. And yes, Rich really did enjoy the food!

Aunt Amy said...

And Grance, Rich says he is really glad you like him...because he is part of the family now!! xo