Monday, January 05, 2009

Stretch and Defend

Today was Kiernan's second basketball practice.


Today's practice started with some cursory stretching, which I thought was cute and kind of cool. It was nifty how Kiernan just jumped right in and started stretching with the older kids. He is clearly the youngest kid on the team, by a long shot. And he's working it out. (Randy was at practice tonight, and he told me to say that.)


After stretching out the teammates worked on some defensive drills. There were no "excuse me" incidents this time, as Kiernan was on defense. He did a great job.


Of course he had no idea why he was doing this job. Why he has to "defend" the basket is utterly lost on him at this point. But he can stand there in front of the basket and spread out his arms if that's what you want him to do. Sure. He can even move with the ball handler...without crossing his feet! [Yeah, I realize that last thing will probably only be exciting to me. And perhaps my stepfather.]


It is a wonderful thing to have the opportunity to be proud of your child.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE these pictures, hon! Thanks. Makes me feel like I were there - course if I were, I would probably be yelling at the coach for being inane - but that's another story. Anyway, I laughed out loud at your comment that K has no idea why he's defending his position but that he follows directions well!! Very funny and very true! I wonder if "coach" would get it if we explained to her that TEACHING is different than TELLING or YELLING....hmmm?! Ah well, thanks for sharing- with us all!

Anonymous said...

I asked Dad why that statement would be exciting to you and him, and he told me about watching you play ball in Colorado and watching you play with Danny. He said "crossing feet means your off guard," and "Christien was fast on his feet."

Love you,
Sis