Saturday, January 10, 2009

Planetary Considerations


The above image is from a t-shirt I have been wanting to get for Kiernan for some time now. I almost got it for myself, but I really wanted to get it for the both of us, but the place selling them didn't have it in a kid's size so I passed on it. Still, I love the shirt.

The other day Kiernan and I were playing with his Planet Heroes action figures. Big surprise. Nowadays this takes up a healthy percentage of our day. We do the voices and goof around with the figures and have races and contests and conversations. He does not own all of the Planet Heroes yet, but curiously this does not stop him from insisting that we do all of their voices and have conversations with all of them.

On the day in question we were talking to Shiver, the Planet Hero associated with Pluto. According to a blog I read about the development of the Planet Heroes, Shiver had already been created when the decision to de-planetize Pluto came down the pike. Rather than scrap Shiver, they decided to make planethood Shiver's personal issue. His tag line became, "I am so a real planet!"

So whenever I have to do Shiver's voice, I start with that line.

On this day in particular, Kiernan got annoyed with Shiver insisting he was a real planet, and Shiver and Kiernan got into a debate about it. After a couple of back and forths Kiernan said the following...

"It is considered a Dwarf Planet, but I can consider it a real planet if you insist me to."

I think I will just make a t-shirt out of that statement, now that I think of it.

2 comments:

Mitch Tobias said...

Kiernan,

You insist me, too. FYI, the spacecraft en route to Pluto will arrive in July, 2015. And while the scientists are pretty sure Pluto doesn't produce tears (and probably doesn't have eyes), the encounter is sure to produce them - in a happy way.

Love,
Mitch

Anonymous said...

Kiernan is becoming the defender of those against whom the world discriminates. Despite what he believes, he supports the weakest among us. His father is his teacher.