Saturday, June 06, 2009

Essay Question


"The Magic School Bus" is the only thing Kiernan wants to watch on television right now, and just about the only thing he wants to read as well. He loves those books and loves watching the stories. He totally gets any differences in the video adaptations of the books, too. The show is just a half-hour show on Discovery Kids, and as with any adaptation the writers take liberties. When they make changes he notices but he doesn't really care. If I use a slightly different voice for one of the kids from one reading to the next he's all over me. But those tv writers can get away with just about anything. Also, he can watch the same episode over and over again and not get bored. He will watch an episode and ask to see the exact same episode again immediately.

Watching the same video over and over again. Weird. I have no idea where he gets that.

We were sitting at dinner the other night, talking about the Magic School Bus. We started talking about our favorite characters. His favorites were Carlos and [I think] Tim.

"Who is your favorite character, Daddy?"

"Hmmm. I really like Dorothy Ann."

"Why?"

"I like how much she reads. And I like how she does research." Dorothy Ann always has books with her during the field trip adventures. She is always reading up on the situation at hand, and forever helping out by informing everybody on what she has read. Her typical way of beginning a sentence is, "According to my research..."

Kiernan replied with, "I do a lot of research too."

I nodded. Then I said, "But my very favorite character is Arnold."

"Why?"

"I love how nervous he is. And how funny he is. I just think he is funny. Plus I love the way you do his voice. That's my favorite."

Kiernan thought for a moment. Arnold is the naysayer in the group. He is constantly nervous during the adventures, wishing the trip could be over and they could be back at school or back at home. He's something of a complainer but in an endearing sort of way. Kiernan's voice for him really is perfect.

Finally Kiernan said, "Daddy? Do you think Arnold thinks he is funny?"

I was taking a sip of wine at that moment and I swear I nearly did a spit take. Do I think Arnold thinks he is funny? Seriously? You're four. What the heck are you doing asking me an essay question? Sheesh.

What I said out loud was how much I loved the question and then I asked him what he thought. I believe we left the question mostly unresolved. I was just caught in this space between being flummoxed by and being proud of his insight.

Here's another picture of him watching the show.

3 comments:

Hope said...

These pictures truly capture the moment. Thanks for sharing.

xtien said...

Happy to do it, Sis. I love it when you comment.

xtien

Hope said...

I love you!