Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Pap-Pap Chronicles


After putting up the post about Grance and Kiernan, and getting some nice feedback from Rance, I started thinking about my dad's visit earlier in November. I went hunting for some pictures and decided to put up a few. These two pictures are from my favorite part of the day, school pickup time.


To be sure, Kindergarten pickup-time is much different from the way it was last year and the year before at preschool. When I showed up for preschool Kiernan would just sprint to me and leap into my arms, almost knocking me over. The look on his face was amazing. Nowadays, well, basically he just notices me. He might give me a wave or a nod of acknowledgment. From time-to-time his face will light up and he'll yell, "Daddy!" But there's no running and jumping and hugging. He's too focused on his friends and playing. He comes to me only to raid my bag for any dinosaurs I may have brought. Progress. Oh well.

However, when Pap-Pap is visiting, Kiernan is much more excited after school. He was particularly excited to see my dad on this day, as Dad had not volunteered in Kiernan's class and so they had been deprived of each other's company for a few hours. The previous days (Thursday and Friday), Pap-Pap had volunteered in Kiernan's classroom. They both loved it.

Whenever my dad comes to California we have to take him to see the Pacific. He absolutely has to see the beach, so we try to build in a meal at a restaurant with a view of the ocean. This time we went to a place suggested by the mother of one of Kiernan's friends, a little dude named Mason. Mason's mom told my dad about a place right on the sand, and we sought that out. There was a forty-five minute wait, which was perfect as it gave Kiernan and Dad the chance to play in the sand a bit.


The food was pretty good too. I had an excellent butternut squash soup and some more than serviceable fish and chips. As we were on the sand we could not order beers, but the fish had been battered with Guinness, so there was that.


Miss you, Pap-Pap/Dad.

3 comments:

Wendy/Mom said...

The service at this beach place left much to be desired though, so I'm not recommending it. On the other hand, it's great to have an excuse to visit the beach so Pap-Pap, keep on visiting!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful pix! They all say so much. What a lucky kid to have EIGHT grandparents to love him so much. XO! Gammy

Grance said...

Pap-Pap looks so cool with Kiernan, and the mutual love is obvious. I do wish in my comparative shots you hadn't put so much air in my hair - it can't possibly be that much grayer than his!!