Friday, October 23, 2009

Picture For This Day


Even though this is a pretty crappy picture quality-wise--I've got to get a new camera, something that does stills properly and also does video--I'm posting it because it was a great moment. This is a shot from our trip to the Natural History Museum last weekend. Kiernan was excited about this display because anything even slightly related to dinosaurs interests him. Ammonites, being an extinct group of marine animals that disappeared around the same time as the dinosaurs (to over-simplify things), clearly interest him.

The cool thing about this moment was that he walked up to this huge ammonite, looked at the sign, and started reading it, sounding out the scientific name Pachydiscus seppenradensis out loud on his own. I can't say I ever get nonchalant about the fact that Kiernan can read, as I constantly find joy and surprise in it. But I have come to expect him to read most simple things and most signs (making billboards like the ones for Zombieland* problematic) and don't go ga-ga over every little thing. However, it still knocks my socks off when he reads something like this. Wendy and I just turned to each other with our mouths open.

I'll try to find a couple of better pictures from the museum trip and put those up too, but the visit was something of a bust. As it seems with all such attractions in Los Angeles, it was under extensive renovation, and the renovations seemed to include most of the dinosaur stuff. I don't know what the deal is with LA (the zoo, until recently the Griffith Park Observatory) and renovations, but it's annoying.

Anyway, loved this moment.


Natural History Museum
October 17, 2009

*Loved the movie, BTW.

1 comment:

Hope said...

dBubba,
He never ceases me amaze me either. You and Wendy are truly great parent to have raised such an incredible child!