Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Reader Watching


As I said in the previous post, Nana and Hope took Kiernan to the bookstore to buy a birdwatching book today. He loves pointing out the birds in the backyard during dinner. Loves watching the hummingbirds as they feed and perch. Loves pointing out every bird that lands. Wants to know all about them. I know nothing about birds, so Mom and Hope decided they should go and get a book about them. Very cool, especially considering my grandfather was pretty knowledgeable on the subject.

They selected a book and bought it. I thought it was a bit thick as it was a field guide, but they all decided it was a good choice.

After dinner, while we sat around and talked, Kiernan excused himself to read his new book. That's him, in the background of the above picture reading it. Here's another shot:


What can I say? I'm proud of the fact that this kid loves books, loves to read. That he pursues his interests with passion, already.

I thought this book would be too much for him. Just too much for him to care about. It's a field guide, not a children's book. I was wrong. He sat there reading it. From time to time he would run over to us to show us a specific bird. He'd read the type of bird and then show it to us, one by one.


Note to To-Do List:

-Buy some decent four-year-old-friendly binoculars.

-Plan an outing.

3 comments:

Jeni said...

I am so happy that Kiernan loves birds! I have a butterfly/hummingbird garden here at my house and will think of Kiernan as I watch them too. I highly recommend Wild Birds Unlimited as a great shop and also Backyard Habitats for making your yard bird friendly! Drs Foster and Smith also has great Wild Bird stuff (and nice things for Cali too!). Miss you all!

Jeni said...

The websites to which I referred but sadly forgot to link are as follows:

Backyard Habitats (National Wildlife Federation): http://www.nwf.org/gardenforwildlife/create.cfm?CFID=17403428&CFTOKEN=8e9b1e30e146077f-7A82F2C2-5056-A868-A0F51AEDF15A3AAB

Wild Birds Unlimited (there's a store very near you on Fallbrook and Topanga): http://www.wbu.com/

Drs Foster and Smith: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/wild-birds/pr/c/9089

xtien said...

Thanks for the links, Jeni!