Tuesday, July 07, 2009

First Day 2.5


The first day of Kindergarten Summer School went pretty well, all things considered. There was a little crying, by child and parents, but not too much.


Here you see Kiernan about to depart for his first day, July 6, 2009. Notice that he has the always reliable Guinea Pig to accompany him (don't worry, GP stayed in the car during school) and that a dinosaur has replaced the other two friends, Meow Meow Kitty Cat and Pooh. As I've mentioned, he's nuts about dinosaurs right now. That particular little dude is Oviraptor. If you'd like to know what that name means, ask Kiernan the next time you see him and he'll be glad to fill you in. (Incidentally, Oviraptor stayed in the car too, with a backpack full of about ten or twelve other dinos.)

To get your Meow Meow Kitty Cat and Pooh Bear fix, check out the photos on these two posts depicting other first days: first day of preschool year one, and first day of preschool year two.

When we got to the school Kiernan was greeted by a helpful older kid. This cool little guy immediately took Kiernan's hand and led him over to where the day's schedules had been posted so that Kiernan would get an idea of what was in store for the day.


I must say that while I appreciated what was going on, I missed a lot of what happened next upon seeing the word "Math" at the bottom of that little schedule. It totally threw me. Math? He's going to be in a math class? This was a dividing moment for me, the moment when I truly realized and had to face the fact that we were crossing a line. On one side of that line was preschool and limitless playtime and goofing off. On the other side of that line was the real and actual school career.

The knowledge that there is no going back has shaken me a bit.

I've been anticipating kindergarten with a mix of feelings. Part of me is happy about getting more time to work on my own projects again. This is significant. Part of me is scared, because I'm losing a sizeable amount of time with my boy. This is significant as well. All of me is proud of his increased independence, of the way he is widening and deepening his world.

With every passing day my respect for my parents increases, and I understand each tear they shed and every time they laughed a little bit better.

5 comments:

Jeni said...

Wow, you have a BEAUTIFUL boy!!! He looks amazing in these photos although it made me a little sad to see him growing up so fast! I had a bit of a tear when I saw he was to go to writing class - kind of like your reaction to math. I miss him like crazy!!!!

Mitch Tobias said...

Kiernan,
Congrats! "Firsts" are always a challenge and always a milestone. I guess that would make you a challenging milestone? Do your parents ever say that to you? See you in a few weeks. Can't wait!
Love,
Mitch

Hope said...

When I reading this blog I saw the picture of his schedule, and I had the same reaction you did upon reading, "Math?!?" "Kiernan is learning MATH?!? OH MY?!?"

Note: I had this reaction before reading yours.

Mom/Nana said...

Math enters his life and PE replaces playtime. I don't want him to be ready for PE; he needs playtime. You need to rescue him from the culmination of an era. Maybe you can arrest his development..for just a little while.

Anonymous said...

I almost cried viewing that little back - knowing his eyes were reading things that would make him a bigger, even smarter, little boy. Even as a "Gammy" I know he had to be scared, but he'll move on, learn and lead! That's TERRIFYING!! I miss my baby grandson, but am so proud of you and Wendy for developing all the best in him -- sweetness, curiosity, wit, intelligence --- and he's only 4 1/2!! XO (and little tears!) Gammy & Grance