Monday, July 20, 2009

Kinderbugs

I feel like sharing a couple of pieces of work from Kiernan's first days of kindergarten. These are the first two things he brought home. Since I can't send these to all of you, I offer you electronic versions. You are welcome to print out your own copies and put them on your fridge. Or download them and put them on your desktop...your virtual fridge.


They were studying insects that week. It's been exciting to hear Kiernan tell us the three parts of the insect, and it's been very amusing hearing kid after kid tell parents, "Worms aren't insects!" I've heard that many times over the last few days. My favorite was the adamant way one kid corrected his older sibling with this information, and with the fact that spiders, also, are not insects.

I particularly like this second picture, because my favorite bug is the ladybug. And Kiernan knows it.

The variety of colors in both pictures is no accident. Kiernan is nuts for colors. He recently went through a R.O.Y.G.B.I.V. phase where he would draw rainbows and spell out the colors and use different colors for each letter. I'm very excited about little things like this because I'm not very good with colors and he very clearly is. This makes me happy.

Finally, there's this:


I include this because my mom found it amusing. I had taken a picture of it when I was entering the school grounds to pick up Kiernan on the second day of school because I found it charming. The next week when Kiernan's Nana and Aunt Hope came with me to pick him up, Mom noticed the sign and laughed, charmed by the very same thing that had inspired me to take this picture.

So I include this for her, and for you. Love to all.

4 comments:

Mom/Nana said...

I would love a picture of this sign with KMan standing beside it -the ultimate scholar. That would surely be my desktop photo.

Mom/Nana said...

Just had to say this - how charming it is that these are scholars, and their parents have to wait for them in the lunch area. Wendy, did our schools have similar signs when we were working on our doc degrees?

Mitch Tobias said...

Kiernan,
The art looks great. Powerful use of the 'ol pushing and pulling with warm/cool colors. Those insects are going to fly right off the page if you don't look out, scholar!
Mitch

Grance said...

I have to admit being a bit intimidated by all this knowledge my grandson has that I don't: planets, dinosaurs, birds and now insects. Why isn't a spider an insect? Seems like a good fit to me! He definitely is the charming scholar. Now we have to get him into contact sports! :)