Friday, August 21, 2009

BFF of This Day

Today we went to the park with Grance.


Kiernan and Grance woke up this morning and decided they wanted to go off to the park. Grance and Gammy were here for a quick one-night visit. This morning Gammy needed to do some work with Wendy, so Grance and Kiernan decided to head off to the park. I was lucky enough to be invited along.


Grance suggested Kiernan ride his bike (a gift from Gammy and Grance last year). So Kiernan saddled up and we headed out to a nearby park.

First thing he did upon getting to the park was climb a tree. It was one of those great trees that has grown slightly sideways so that you can basically just run up, and I couldn't resist. Kiernan saw me, exclaimed, "Hey! Look what my Daddy's doing!" Then he followed me right up.


This picture brought to you by "Do What I Say, Not What I Do" Industries.

Next Kiernan broke out the dinosaurs and started making friends.


He is so good at this. So much better than I am. Grance helped him somewhat with this, suggesting Kiernan break out his dinosaurs and invite these two young ladies to play.

What a smoothie.

Let's just say the girls were less than enthusiastic about the dinosaurs [pictured]. An ice cream cart showed up and they were pretty much out of there. Note to Future Kiernan: Grance is really great when it comes to history, cigars, scotch, and books.

Grance made it up to him.

They played on the slide and with the dinosaurs for a bit, having a great time. Eventually a new little dude showed up, and Kiernan went right about the work of making him his new friend. This kid was named Omar, and in no time the two of them were carrying all of Kiernan's dinosaurs up to the top of the slide for dinosaur races.


Omar and Kiernan had a blast playing, but eventually we did have to leave. Lunch must intrude. This did not sit well with Kiernan. Although he was hungry and thirsty--his amazing quote on the way home, "I'm starving of thirst!"--Kiernan was most reluctant to be parted from Omar, his friend of one hour. This has become the custom of late, as you may remember from a post about our recent trip to the beach. Kiernan makes a friend and is absolutely on the cusp of rending his garments when he is separated from this friend he has just met.

As I put on his socks and shoes, Kiernan looked at me and said, in this tiny mouse voice, "Can I give Omar a hug?"

On the verge of either laughing or crying myself, I said, "That's up to him, and you." Kiernan sidled up to him and they did this absolutely perfect child's version of the awkward male-friend hug.

Then we left.


This picture pretty much captures it. He sulked all the way home.

It's okay. Waffles for lunch at the coolest deli in the world made things better.

Mostly.

3 comments:

Wendy/Mommy said...

Yes, he did say to me at lunch..."I'm really glad we came here and I got a waffle but I'm still super sad I had to leave my friend Omar." HOW SWEET!!

Mom/Nana said...

Hah! Once again KMan and Christien say it so well. I am glad for the "waffles" but am super-sad about not being with my g'son KMan, my son Christien, and my DIL Wendy. Beautiful pictures and sweet story.

Grance said...

That really was a great day, one for me to treasure. K & I did have a short talk about whether to allow you to come or not, but agreed that it would be for the best. I loved the whole time, even tho' we didn't have any cigars or scotch - all will come in time! I'm not sure he sulked on the way home - just was tired and glad to be getting food and drink. Poor kid is starved of thirst!