Thursday, September 17, 2009

"Only me and my mom..."

Some dispatches from this morning. But first a picture of a reminder:


After school these days I've been letting Kiernan hang out and play with his friends. We used to do that after Preschool too. The last couple of days his preferred activity after school has been to play with his dinosaurs in the dirt. He runs off behind a tree--usually with his friend Oliver--and buries his dinosaurs in the loose dirt. The two of them end up covered in dirt from head to toe.

Last night before dinner Kiernan informed me that he wanted me to bring three dinosaurs in particular when I came to pick him up. I asked him to remind me, and he said, "I need a small piece of paper." He went over to the scratch pad we keep next to the phone in the kitchen and tore off a piece of paper, then headed to his drawing table.

A couple moments later he told me he needed two more pieces of paper, and some glue. "No, not glue," he said. "Tape. I need some tape." We went into Wendy's office for the tape and he giggled.

Pointing to a Post-It note stuck to the monitor on her desk he said, "Look, there's a reminder too!" He laughed again and pointed to another one. "And another reminder!"

We took his three small pieces of paper and the tape and he proceeded to tape the paper reminders to the door.


Thus are Brachiosaurus, Ceratosaurus, and Pachyrhachis waiting in the car so they'll be there when I go to pick him up in a bit.

Moving on to a couple things from this morning.

On the way to school Kiernan suddenly said, "Daddy, all of my dinosaurs are flexible!"

I laughed, delighted, and asked him what he meant. He proceeded to describe what parts of his dinosaurs could be bent.

A bit later he asked, "Is there a number bigger than infinity?"

Scrambling, I asked where this came from. He said two of his friends, Oliver and Etai, had told him that their moms said there was no biggest number. I did my best to explain the concept of infinity.

He thought for a few moments before saying, "I know how to draw the infinity symbol."

"Really?" I responded. "How?"

"It's a sideways eight."

"How do you know that?"

"My mom taught me," he said. "Only me and my mom know that."

That put a huge smile on my face. Only me and my mom know that. Priceless.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

He asked me that infinity question as well. Obviously he DID listen to my answer ... "ASK YOUR DAD OR MOM"! XO! S/G

Anonymous said...

Infinity is tough- made more difficult by Buzz Lightyear- "To infinity and beyond!". But I'm so pleased that Wendy knows that... :)

Claire

Grance said...

Now we really are in trouble - not only is he smarter than we, he's leaving us notes to remind us of it! I love it...

Wendy/Mom said...

OMG and LMAO!!! I loved the post-it reminders - he's MY kid too, by gosh. And I can't believe he remembered the sign for infinity....that was a momentary off the cuff conversation AGES ago!! Wow. I love this kid!