Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A Cracking Good Morning


A picture from this morning. I decided to make pancakes for breakfast this morning, mainly because pancakes are Kiernan's favorite. Still, just that fact usually wouldn't get me to whip up pancakes on a school morning. Two things motivated me:

1. Wendy left for a longish business trip yesterday morning, so doing a little extra is a good idea.
2. Gammy was here last week while I was off at a friend's wedding in Oregon. She made french toast for Kiernan for breakfast. Twice.

I will not tolerate a breakfast gap.

Once he saw what I was up to, he wanted to help. I knew this would be the case, which is why I left adding the eggs until last. Kiernan is our expert egg cracker. He climbed up on the stool I'd brought into the kitchen*, cracked in the two eggs, and whisked them into the wet works. Then he helped me stir the wet stuff into the dry stuff. Finally he did the most important bit of helping, eating the extra chocolate chips I'd dropped on the counter.

As I prepared to cook the pancakes, he made an excited announcement. "Hey Dad! Tomorrow we can make waffles!"

The pancakes turned out pretty good, although I prefer to use real butter. I Can't Believe It's Not Butter doesn't work as well in the batter, in my opinion.

The big surprise came as Kiernan polished off the first pancake. He asked for me to make him another one without chocolate chips.

"Really?" I asked.

"Yeah," he replied. "This one was too chocolatey."

Too chocolatey? WHAT?

Oh well.


[*I forgot a crucial step in the sequence. On his way he grabbed a few dinosaurs. "I want my dinosaurs to watch!" Of course. I wouldn't have it any other way. Just keep pachyrhachis out of the flour next time, please.]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think there's a little REAL butter left on the top shelf of the fridge door. FYI, I used that real stuff for everything --- in moderation, or course. XO! S/G

Mom/Wendy said...

I could tell Mom used the "real" stuff for everything - especially when she thought the meal I made tasted "a little boring!" Harrumph.

Anyway, thanks hon, for always taking such good care of our boy while I'm gone. Course if the roles were reversed, he'd be munching on cereal.