Friday, December 26, 2008

I'm Dreaming of an Animatronic Christmas


Yeah, I know this is pretty random, but it was only the boys at lunch today--today being Girls' Day Out at the Spa--so you're going to have to expect a little absurdity.

Grance got home from the gym today and asked if Kiernan and I wanted to go out to lunch with him. Being interested in eating, we both said yes. We started considering what cuisine we might be after when Kiernan announced what he wanted for lunch.

"Pancakes!"

Done and done.

Grance took us to a place nearby called the Blue Plate Brunchery. It turned out to be pretty good. Serviceable breakfast food with just fine service and okay coffee. The two things it had going for it were that it was close and that it was not Denny's. Nothing against Denny's, I just wasn't in the mood for a chain and Rance indulged me. I ordered a breakfast burrito and it was good and flavorful. I'm always on the search for a decent breakfast burrito. I can't help it. I have to find out if there is anything in the world that beats the nirvana that is the breakfast burrito at The Corner Cottage in Burbank. It is a sad truth of life's imperfection that I live a good forty-five minute drive from The Corner Cottage, but then that fact is probably what will keep me from turning into one of those guys you read about who has to be lifted out of his house by a crane and buried in a piano box. So I suppose it works out, on balance. Still, so far nothing has come close to The Corner Cottage breakfast burrito. Not remotely.

But this was good enough, and very tasty.

We sat and perused the menu. Kiernan and I first discussed pancake options. Then I studied the menu for sides. While I was doing this, Kiernan was reading the menu himself apparently, for he suddenly exclaimed, "They have waffles!"

Our waitress, a pleasant grandmotherly lady, came to take our order, and she did something too few servers do. She addressed Kiernan directly when taking his order. She did this without talking down to him. She just said, matter-of-factly, "What do you want?" And he answered her in kind. "Waffles." Then they proceeded to go back and forth on his order with very little help from me. It was great. "I just want syrup and butter." "What do you have to drink?" "What kind of juice do you have?"

I love getting to be proud of him.

It was a very nice lunch, and on the way out we got to spend a few quality moments with the creepy animatronic Santa that was staking out the cashier stand near the door. This guy was about five feet tall, and if you stepped on the red button between his feet he would dance, or rather wiggle his hips, and sing. Kiernan found him surprising and hilarious. I, again, found him creepy. With a side of creepy. Hold the creepy.


[Picture notes: I consider this last shot our Westworld shot. You'll either get that or you won't, and that's okay. The others are just Kiernan and I goofing around. Westworld was the first picture, just what he did naturally as I took the first pic. Then I asked him to give me something for a silly one. He got all happy and surprised and said, "Really?" Like I'd just removed his shackles or something. I must say for a millisecond I was taken aback. Then he proceeded to amuse me and all worries faded away.]

No comments: