Friday, September 07, 2007

Quick Draw, McKiernan


In addition to knowing the states and understanding tortilla chips better than I do, Kiernan has now revealed he can also draw better than I can. Seriously. Just ask Tric Wesp. She was the professor who was tasked with trying to teach me costume design. She had to look at my renderings of the human form for an entire semester. It's no wonder she required that we provide Mimosas during our final presentations.

Yeah, so my toddler son can draw better than I can. I'm fine with that. I do look forward to next year, when I anticipate he shall teach me how to drive. If it even takes until next year. His mother, who sits in the back seat with him when she's not driving, is already grooming him as her sidekick backseat driver. "Tell Daddy to turn left here, honey." Like I needed another one.

I suppose it could be worse. Remind me to tell you about "stupid apples" sometime when we're face-to-face. It's an anecdote courtesy of our friends Nino and Jessica. I'm not sure it belongs in a child's blog, so you'll have to wait, but it is gold. (How's that for a tease?)

Anyway, above is a picture of Kiernan's first very clear drawing of a face. I was preparing dinner and Wendy was playing with Kiernan. She is just an awesome mom. She comes home from work and without skipping a beat takes over playing with Kiernan with joy and exuberance. I'm sure this is made easier by the fact that as soon as she walks in the door Kiernan's wattage rises by about 150%. He just lights up when he sees her. I love it. And I'm just amazed by her ability to work a full day, sit through a couple hours of traffic, and not hint at a complaint as she jumps into taking care of our boy. All without a cocktail!

So Kiernan was doodling on one of his dry erase boards and he came up with that face. Wendy called me in to see it and I was able to capture the moment in pictures. All hail digital cameras.

We've already documented Kiernan writing his first word, though I did not post about it here. His first written word was, fittingly, "mommy". He did this outside, with his sidewalk chalk. I didn't even notice at first. I was out there with him, but my mind was sort of wandering. In the background I heard him talking to himself as he doodled on the sidewalk.

"M...O...M...M...Y," he would say. It was a bit more spaced out and randomly timed than the quoting above lets on, so he did it a couple of times before I finally focused on what he was doing. Plus, the letters were going in a spiral and were over other doodles. But when I really tuned in to what he was up to my mouth dropped open.

He's still writing his letters, although to keep them interesting sometimes he dresses them up in costumes. "Costumes" is his term for what he's drawing. He'll write the alphabet as usual ('C', 'J', and 'S' do tend to show up backwards, which is, of course, fine with us), but then he'll draw little lines and designs within the letters. Sometimes 'R' will end up looking fuzzy, or 'A' will look as though it is filled with stained glass panes. It's nifty.

It's cool to see him graduating to pictures (he draws flowers, too). Good that he's already grasping what his father sometimes forgets: life is more than mere words.

5 comments:

JoAnne said...

that _is_ an amazing drawing. who is it? whoever it is looks like a great listener.

beautiful post...

JoAnne

Mitch said...

Kiernan,
I'm so proud of you. That's great that you're drawing. When you have a chance, draw me one of a scuba diver who's about to get chomped on by a Great White Shark, which is about to get chomped on by an Orca, which is about to get chomped on by your Daddy.
Love,
Mitch
P.S. The word verification for today is "liqmgvn".

Anonymous said...

I MUST know about the "stupid apples". You are killing me. Ames xo

Grance said...

What a wonderful posting - why don't we have Kiernan here with us? He can draw all the pictures of what we don't see better than we describe the ones we do!! We miss you all so much!!!

Love, S & GRance

Travel Pig said...

I must admit that - though the picture was drawn ENTIRELY by Kiernan - I was the one who wrote "by Kiernan" and the date on the last picture. NOT that the boy can't write, spell AND sign his own name but I don't want you to think that we are anything less than honest here. :) Love Mom