Monday, August 20, 2007

Statesboy



Kiernan is crazy about the states now.

It really is amazing to me how quickly he picks up on things. Once he decides to go after a particular thing, he goes after it whole hog. He's like his mother in this way. It's important for me to mention this, because I want people to realize we're not pushing Kiernan to learn all of this stuff. We introduce a wide variety of concepts to him, and he takes some of them and runs with them. Like letters for instance. He has always loved letters. Now it is true that we bought him many, many sets of letters to play with. Several sets of magnetic letters for the refrigerator. A couple sets of foam letters for the bathtub. Some big foam letters he could play with outside and make a mat out of if he wanted to. We both love letters and words so we focused on that. Still, he has cars and little plastic jungle animals and play-doh and stuff like that too.

But he really took to the letters. He loves writing his letters on the sidewalk or on his dry-erase boards. He loves the "ABC" song and insists we sing it with him--in a variety of voices--throughout the day. He sometimes takes his letters to bed. Sometimes I'd rather play with his toy cars--I admit it, singing about the alphabet two-hundred times a day in a sad imitation of Piglet's voice can get to me--but he won't have it.

His state puzzle was the same way. Wendy bought Kiernan a little state puzzle, pictured above, and he was immediately interested. I was a bit leery because some of the pieces are tiny, so not only is the puzzle a choking hazard, it is also really hard to do. I'm not sure it's clear from the photo above, but there are no channel lines for the puzzle pieces. The puzzle is a simple wood cut out and it is smooth, and the pieces don't click together or anything, so every time you bump it the pieces move. Two-and-a-half year olds don't tend to have the best fine motor skills, so there is plenty of bumping going on.

The choking thing was of no worry. Kiernan was a kid who put everything in his mouth when he was still crawling around. He seems to be over that now.

Of greater surprise to me is the fact that the level of difficulty issue was also of no worry. I cannot express to you how amazed I am at his learning curve on this thing. For the first few days, maybe a week or so, he wanted us to do the puzzle with him. Over and over and over again. Then he wanted to help. Then he would ask for help, but it was clear he didn't really need it. Either he was using us as a crutch, or else he was trying to make sure we didn't feel useless. I'm not sure. But within the space of about two weeks he was doing this puzzle on his own. Even the fine motor skills thing became a non-factor as he became able to maneuver the smallest of the pieces into place without help. Another few days and he was naming all of the states as he did so.

I'm not kidding.

Kiernan is not yet three years old and he can name every state in the union.

He's not reading them. Yes, he can read short words and recognize longer ones, but he has somehow memorized all fifty states by their shape and size and where they go. If I hold up Missouri, for example, and tell him I think it's New Hampshire, he'll say, "No, silly Daddy. That's Missouri. New Hampshire is over there. Next to Vermont."

Again. I'm not kidding. He knows the states better than we do. Far better. It's a little scary.

But as the man in the infomercial says, "Wait...there's more..."

Ask him if Washington, D.C. is a state. Go ahead. I dare you.

"No," he'll say.

You will inevitably then ask him what it is, if it isn't, indeed, a state.

"It's a district," he will say.

I'm working on the concept of commonwealths next.

What have I gotten out of all this? In addition to extreme parental pride I've learned each state's motto, so next time you see me, be sure to quiz me.

Otherwise, how am I ever going to get any use out of the knowledge that North Dakota is the Flickertail State?


Just don't ask me what in the world a Flickertail is. Or, for that matter, a Palmetto.

No matter. By that time I'm sure Kiernan will be able to tell you.


9 comments:

JoAnne said...

That's absolutely incredible! He's going to be so much fun on road trips. While you're flipping through the AM stations, he'll be able to fill you in on that state's stats.

Good job, Kiernan!

Wonderful, Wendy & Christien. What a fine boy.

xo
JoAnne

Anonymous said...

My love, I especially appreciate that you did not tell our fine friends that MOMMY does NOT know her states. For any of my educator friends reading this, here is a perfect example of differentiation! We're all doing the same puzzle task but I'm learning the actual states (I've got about 25-30 down), Kiernan has really got them all now and Daddy is learning about their mottos. Awesome! Love, the Mom

Anonymous said...

Today the States; tomorrow the world. Please have K draw his line from Holland to Spain and tell him that Peru in the Pisco Sour country; Holland is the Amstel Beer country; and Spain is the Sangria country. He'll be able to identify with that sort of thing. Love to all, M/S/G

Mitch said...

Kiernan,
West Virginia is the poorest state of the union. California is the wealthiest. Hawaii is the prettiest. And Montana might change its name after the glaceriers melt. But no worries, the refrigerator can make more ice - with energy robbed from an Indian reservation in Nevada. Your district is SWEEEET.
Love,
Uncleish-Mitch
P.S. Today's word verification was tmekerao.

Mitch said...

Kiernan,
Sorry. I couldn't go back and correct my typo on "glaceriers".
Mitch

xtien said...

Mitch, are you just trying to get me back for the "future machine" joke?

Xtien

Anonymous said...

He is amazing. What a smart kid! I can't wait to sing the 50 Nifty United States song with him! It is hard to believe he already has it up to Indiana. You have a little genius on your hands!! I am a very proud Auntie! xo Ames

Anonymous said...

That is truly amazing! But I know a couple of ladies who read this site who can say the alphabet backwards in about 3 seconds. I wonder who they are.....? I asked Thorstencito to say it backwards - and HE DID! Asked him how he knew that and he said his teachers taught everyone how to do this - I guess it helps in the learning. Cool kid!!!

Anonymous said...

When I said 'cool kid', I was referring to Kiernan. T'Cito is a cool kid, too. And all 6 grandkids are getting soooo big!