Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Spider Boy, Spider Boy


We went to the zoo the other day. They have a new exhibit called "Spider City" and I'm happy to report that Wendy made it all the way through the entire thing without freaking out. She was a brave little camper. We had a great time with our friends from down the street, Nino, William, and Baby Isabella (sadly Jessica, the mom, had to work). It's been fun going to the zoo over the course of Kiernan's development. It's interesting to see his progression, from the time he was a little baby sleeping against my chest in his Baby Bjorn and getting nursed by his mother near the giraffes, to going with his godfathers and riding in a backpack, to now when he runs around on his own, actively excited about seeing the different animals. And just as excited about the snow cone stand.

I'm proud of him. Researching whether snow cones--or the ice cream he eventually opted for--taste the same in captivity as they do in the wild is an important area of study. The work can take years, I'm telling you. Years.

He was even upset when we left because we didn't have time to visit the snake place. Snake house. Snake pit. I don't know what they call it. Anyway, we'll have to go back, not only to see the snakes, but because the next day, upon waking up, Kiernan's first words were, "I want to go back to Spider City." Mom couldn't have been happier.

Here's a picture of Kiernan with William, goofing off at the house.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

spiders.... yeck. zoo with friends...priceless.

love, mom (the brave trooper or camper or whatever I am)

Grance said...

Come on Mom, if you don't like the spiders how are you going to pretend to like the snakes? Scaring Moms with spiders is a lot of fun - just ask JoAnne and Karen!

Love

Grance

Anonymous said...

Kiernan looks exactly like Wink in this picture, or our side of the family anyway. I had to point it out because he is so damn cute, I wanted to feel like I had some part of that. I'm not sure how, but there it is. Ames xo

Anonymous said...

The Reptile House

Anonymous said...

It as hard enough to look at that spider tent, furthermore to see the faces of my loved ones peering out with forced smiles after having been devoured by it. Was the spider gang holding Christien hostage?