Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Unbearable Shoeness of Shoes

A couple more shots from Diego's party, with less blather...


Right after getting his face painted.



Prepping for the wheelbarrow race. Kiernan is at the top of the picture, on his hands. His pal Nicholas is standing behind him in the red shirt, holding his feet.


Nicholas and Kiernan actually crossed the finish line. Without collapsing. Without having to be encouraged or begged or cajoled. They did it on their own. It's funny the things you feel proud about as a parent.


Speaking of which...here's a picture of Kiernan putting on his shoes while talking to his pal Nicholas. This is such a simple, everyday thing. But I love it. Kiernan can now put on his own socks and shoes without our help. He can just do it. And he had to do it multiple times this day, as he got in and out of the bouncy house multiple times and had to take off his shoes every time. Now granted, these shoes just have velcro straps, not laces, but I still love it. Because I remember the exact moment I learned to tie my shoes. The exact moment. So this makes me happy.


Putting on his own shoes. Having his own conversation.


Seeing the future. It's beautiful. Amazing. Terrifying.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do I note that Kiernan's shoes MATCH in these photos? Has our "unique" 4 year old returned to the fold?? What fun photos!!! XO! Gammy

xtien said...

Yes. The socks matched too. Yesterday and today he also picked matching socks (today's were his green St. Patrick's Day socks). If this were the stock market, we might call this a "trend".

Come to think of it, I'd rather have my money in Kiernan's shoes right now.

Grance said...

And if I were a betting man, I would have put my money on K & N coming in first in the wheelbarrow race, at least in terms of the most fun. Whatever the game, he gets it!