Thursday, November 13, 2008

Matters


We are in Virginia this week, visiting family. Right now we are at my mom and stepdad's house in Seaford, having spent the first part of the week with my dad and my stepmom, Sandi. I'll work on those pictures later, but I wanted to get up a quick picture of Kiernan with his Nana, right now. The above photograph is from last night, the final book before bedtime. This particular book is an informational volume about kittens, a book that probably belonged to my sister Hope. During this visit Kiernan is really into reading Hope's childhood books. It's always cool to see him get excited about books that are new to him, and doubly cool to see how keen he is to read something that specifically belonged to his aunt. But I have to say...Good Lord these old books are crappy! Not all of them to be sure. Hope's childhood favorite (and one of mine), The Monster at the End of This Book, still rocks the house. If Kiernan uncovers The Pokey Little Puppy I'm sure I'll be pleased. But so many of the new books we read to Kiernan are just so much better. Tonight Kiernan found this book called I Am A Boy. This one was apparently one of my old books. Holy cow. Just awful. And the kids in the illustrations look like a bunch of ventriloquist dummies. It's really kind of creepy.

I guess Mo Willems has spoiled me.

At any rate, I happy we are here at this time. It's always good to have some time with my folks, and it's especially good for Kiernan to get to spend time with them. He's loving the opportunity to goof around with his Nana. This evening before bed they basically had a kind of hugging competition. Great stuff.

These moments of joy, however, are taking place in the midst of sadness. My stepfather, John, is away with our family in Texas during this visit. His father, Kiernan's Great-Grandfather Dunn, passed away today after suffering a heart-attack two days ago. He was a wonderful man; one need only look at the way his son has turned out to see that. I ask that you keep my stepfather and his mother and his sisters (as well as my mother and sister) in your thoughts and prayers at this time.

Also--and this should go without saying but I'm going to say it anyway--don't wait until the holidays to let those you love know what they mean to you.

Hang in there, Dad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Christien,

So sorry to hear your sad news. Your stepfather and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. If you all are still in Virginia and you have any extra time, send us an email we'd love to see you guys!!

love, lisa, charlie, kate & william

Anonymous said...

I love you.

Your Grandfather Dunn thought you turned out to be a really fine young man and father. That was one of the last things he said to me when we talked about you.

Love,
Dad