Friday, April 27, 2007

My Son is Better than I Am: Reason #478


The picture has nothing to do with this post, I just stumbled across it a few minutes ago and it made me laugh so I decided to post it. My brother Mason took it during our visit to Virginia last August. All of our digital pictures cycle through as widgets and screensavers and this one popped up today as I was tinkering with the wireless router during Kiernan's nap.

This post is just a short one about wearing clothes.

Last week Wendy was away on a trip to a conference in Kentucky. I was getting Kiernan ready for bed. We were at the point in our nighttime ritual where he gets to choose his sleepy clothes for the night. He was being difficult, albeit in an entirely charming way: after his bath he wanted to wear his towel--and only his towel--to go jumping on our bed. When he wears one of his bath towels (for those of you without children, they make little towels for kids that have hoods sewn into them to keep their little heads warm) nowadays he says he is a sea turtle. Clearly one of the characteristics of the species is post-bath bed jumping.

As cute as he was, however, I was feeling rather harried so I just ducked into his room and grabbed the sleepy clothes myself. I had to hurry because I didn't want him to beat me to our bedroom and start jumping on the bed without me there. [NOTE TO ALL OF YOU OUT THERE WHO KNOW BETTER: I realize we shouldn't let him jump the bed. I realize we should have never let him start jumping on the bed in the first place. But when he started doing it, well, it was just so precious. So much fun. It seemed like a rite of passage. Now that he's almost two and a half and can jump so forcefully that he could really hurt himself, it's hard to put the toothpaste back in the tube.]

As I opened his pajama drawer I realized I had forgotten to move his laundry from the washer to the drier that afternoon. The clock ticking, I shrugged and grabbed a dinosaur top and and a pair of bottoms that had basketballs all over them. They were both kind of blue, but the similarity ended there. They were not even remotely similar fabrics. But I figured, "Eh...what the heck. Wendy's not home. What's the harm?"

I reached our bedroom just as he scrambled onto the bed. I let him jump for awhile, standing at the end of the bed like a goalie in case he should jump to close to the edge. (I didn't get on the bed with him because, of late, he has taken to saying, "I need space!" if you get on the bed while he is trying to jump on it.)

After a bit I put his diaper on him and then the basketball pajama bottoms. I grabbed the dinosaur top and was about to slip it over his head when he exclaimed, "They don't match!"

I was surprised, but I forged ahead. "I know. That's okay." I tried again.

"THEY DON'T MATCH!" This time he was a mite more forceful, and I realized that I simply wasn't going to get away with it.

I guess he's tired of people being able to tell when his Daddy has dressed him in the morning. Oh well, at least one of us will be a snappy dresser.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

so how does the story end? is he still up? still hopping?

i want to know.

auntie jo anne

Anonymous said...

Non-matching fabric would probably have passed, but basketballs and dinasaurs??? Even Rance would object to that! XO! M/S/G

Anonymous said...

Okay, now you guys are just scaring me....

Anon.

Anonymous said...

I am laughing so hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When I began to read the post, and saw that you were going to dress him in dinosaurs and basketballs, I gasped in disgust! I am SO pleased that my son was equally appalled. I can rest easier now when I travel. Thanks, sweetie, for sharing this funny anecdote. :) I love both of my boys!!!
Love, Mom/Wendy

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of when we lived in Suffolk, and you went to a private elementary school. I got a phone call from your teacher accusing me of dereliction of duty because you had arrived with your shirt dirty and all askew and wearing only 1 shoe - the other having fallen down the storm drain. Apparently, when you think you can get away with it, your taste hasn't changed much.
Love you.

Amy Weichel said...

Now THAT is his mother's child! I remember when Wink and I lived in Germany and were so into Sasch clothing. We couldn't get enough of it. It was when neon anything was in and we would match every other item to each other; green headband, white shirt, green pants, white socks, green shoes...or something like that. Glad to see the legacy continues! I am just amazed to learn about these expressions like "I need space". Man, wasn't he just saying "grgllmrp" like, yesterday?